Greetings all! I meant to post this picture a while back, but have been having computer problems. I made these as part of what I previously called my Uber Nerd cosplay. I have since decided to change the name to Geek Supreme. I like the sound of it better than Uber Nerd. It just seems to roll off the tongue more easily. Anyway, I made these using Perler beads. The mushrooms and star I actually found the patterns for online, but the rupees are my own design. I combined a couple different ideas for the mushrooms to give them a good feel, color wise. Also, I used the more translucent beads for the rupees to give them a gemstone-like quality. Have you ever made anything with Perler beads? Was it nerdy? Or have I inspired you? Whatever your thoughts on this topic, please let me know in the comments below! Thanks for taking the time!
One of the cosplay original ideas I have is to build an ‘uber geek’ that combines different aspects of multiple fandoms. To that end, I have amassed the following items:
1. Lightsaber – a ForceFX replica of Luke’s lightsaber from Return of the Jedi
2. Comm Badge – a magnet pin replica of a comm badge from Star Trek: The Next Generation
3. Sonic Screwdriver – a decent replica, with lights and sounds, of the Other Doctor’s sonic screwdriver from The Day of the Doctor
4. Wand – a replica of Harry Potter’s wand from the popular book and movie series
5. Colonial Military dog tags – replicas of Colonel Saul Tigh’s dog tags from Battlestar Galactica
5. Ultra Ball – a foam replica of an ultra ball from Pokemon.
6. Diamond Sword – a foam replica of from the popular Minecraft game
7. 4 Star Dragonball – an acrylic replica from one of the best anime shows of all time, Dragonball & Dragonball Z
8. Cap’s Shield – an aluminum replica of Captain America’s shield that I plan to modify slightly
Today, I purchased an addition to the costume: a Jayne hat, from the cult classic Firefly. As you can see, I’m bridging quite the array of nerd cultures here. If you have any suggestions as to other items I could add to this, please let me know in the comments!
*I would like to say a few things about the links, and apologize for not having one for the Cap Shield. For the most part, I got these items for about the same price as listed on the links. Some of them even came from the exact link I’ve given above. However, when I bought the Col Tigh dog tags, they were not nearly that expensive.
Friends, Cephalopods, lend me your ears…or statocysts!So, a group of my friends has long entertained the idea of this squid hat being the hat of the Cephalo-Pope. So, when I won it in a drawing from Petty Torture Productions, I thought, “Hmm… Maybe I could make this a real thing through the media of cosplay.” I have things in the works as far as the physical accoutrements go, but have not really put any thought into the dogma of the Cephalo-Pope. What would make up the Trinity? What kind of Christ-like figure would this religion have? How would they refer to whatever god this religion worships?
What I need from you, my friends, are suggestions to build this theology. I was thinking of loosely basing it on Roman Catholicism, as much of the structure is there to modify. I am also weary of the deity of this religion being the Great Old One, as he may lead to too much insanity. So, please, share this post with as many potentially interested people as you can think of. I will take some of the more favored ideas to form the basic dogma and go from there. To start things off, what say you to Communion being fried calamari and black currant liqueur?
DISCLAIMER: I would like to state for the record that this is an exercise in frivolity and amusement. Any persons offended by this whole notion are more than welcome to discontinue reading my blog. I ask only that any hurtful thoughts be left to verbal concourse betwixt you and your computer, and not in the comments below.